Monday, March 22, 2010

No-Knead Italian Ciabatta Bread, same as Peasant (takes 12-24 hours)




Edited to Add: Windows 7 may not have been my idea, but I am still waiting for someone to come up with Smell-inet. This stuff is seriously making my house smell like an old fashioned bakery and I can't stop. Last night I made up 3 batches. #1=just plain, which is mannah in itself. #2=added 1/2 cup Grated Romano Cheese and about a Tbl. of dry Italian Seasonings. #3=swapped out a half cup flour for dark rye flour, 1 Tbl. each dry shallots, poppy seeds and caraway seeds. Oh, slather me with buttah and toss me a slice. Okay, not really, that would be really gross. But chili dipping oil would burn the skin. ;)

Another yummy version:  Add 1 Tbl. Dried Rosemary, 2 Tbl. Dried Minced Onion, and 1 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese(pictured above and below)

This is HEAVENLY. And I played around with a few variations, so easy!

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. active yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt(I use sea salt in all my cooking)
2 cups warm water

In a LARGE bowl(I use my humongous Tupperware one, everyone seems to have one) mix the dry ingredients together, just use your fingers or a spatula. Pour in warm water and mix well. It will be VERY sticky and look too moist, then too dry, then too moist again. Don't worry about this! Cover with loose lid, saran wrap, or foil and set into a draft free area. This needs to set overnight, so if you prepare it the night before at say 9:00pm, you can bake it after 9:00am, all they way up until 3:00pm. 12-18 hours. On a large cookie sheet, cover with non-stick foil and sprinkle a little flour. This just makes it SO easy! Use a spatula to dump the gooey dough onto the cookie sheet. I spray my hands with non-stick spray and then with flour to keep from getting too sticky. Shape and stretch with your hands to get a long flat loaf. Sprinkle with additional flour and cover with a clean DRY towel. Set aside for 2 hours. Heat oven to 425'. Remove towel and bake for 30-35 minutes. When you tap it it should sound hollow. Let cool about 10 minutes(if you can), and serve with butter, flavored oil, or:

When cool, cut down the center lengthwise, and then into 8-10 pieces across. Slice through middle of each piece but not all the way through. Leave the crust intact. Fill with your favorite sandwich fillings(mayo, turkey, swiss, cranberry, avocado, and alfalfa spouts are my fave). This is perfect panini bread!



Also, play with flour portions! I used 3 1/2 cups all-purpose, 1/2 cup dark rye. Yummy! I didn't care as much for the whole wheat, but I'm going to try white whole wheat to healthify it a little.




It's very rustic looking, artisan.

No comments:

Post a Comment