Saturday, January 8, 2011

Root Beer Float French Toast

A friend of mine mentioned a great little breakfast place in Colorado that serves Root Beer French Toast.  I've never eaten there, but I could only imagine.  So, I told the family about this and we all agreed I needed to come up with something too.  I think it was really funny that as I was cooking and taking pictures for my blog Julie & Julia was on in the background.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep tweaking this recipe here and there so check back!


The Root Beer Syrup


1 1/2 cups White Sugar, 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, 1/2 tsp. each butter extract and vanilla, 1 tsp. Root Beer Extract


I used this measuring cup only so you could see through it.  Use measuring cups and pour both sugars into a microwavable container.  Add 1 cup of very hot water and stir.  It will be cloudy.  You want to microwave it on high for 30 second intervals until it is clear and all sugar is dissolved like this....


Add 1 tsp. Root Beer extract, 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.  Stir and set aside.

Ingredients for the Root Beer French Toast


One Loaf French Bread
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Milk
1 tsp. Root Beer Extract
Vanilla Bean Paste
Pinch of Salt

For Topping
Whipped Cream(in the can for the diner effect)
Maraschino Cherries
Butter

In a bowl or pie plate with at least 2" sides mix together eggs, milk, root beer extract and salt.  Oops, I forgot to take a picture of it, I also added about a tsp. of vanilla bean paste(or you could just use vanilla extract).  Not the prettiest color, huh.


Slice your French Bread into 1/2 inch slices.


Get your pan nice and hot.


Get your dipping station ready.


Spray the pan with non-stick spray(I use butter flavored).  When pan is very hot(water droplets should bounce off when sprinkled on the pan).  Dip bread in egg mixture, coating both sides, and add to pan.


When bottom of bread is brown and golden, spray the tops of the bread pieces with the non-stick spray.


Flip.


Mmmmmm.


Top with butter, syrup, whipped cream, and a cherry.


I couldn't understand the reviews as their mouths were quite full.  Something about mmmmhhhhuuuhhh whipped cream is mmmmhhhhuuuhhh so good with this mmmmhhhhuuuhhh.


By the way, the left over syrup was fantastic on some German Pancakes this morning!

1 comment: