Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pesto

Did someone say pesto? If I could have one food to take with me to a deserted island, it would be pesto. I thought my last born must have been switched at birth because she won't touch the stuff, turns out, she just won't eat store bought pesto. Trust me, I've made her try them all. I wanted to make some homemade to go on top of salmon(my favorite way to cook fish) and so I came up with this. Less oily too.

1 bunch of basil washed, stems removed, and spun through salad spinner.
1 generous tsp. crushed garlic(from a jar is fine)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pinenuts
a few pinches of salt & pepper
1 packet of "True Lemon"
Olive Oil
Water

In a food processor, pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, pinenuts, salt & pepper, and True Lemon until finely chopped. Turn processor on continuous and drizzle olive oil down shoot until it becomes more pasty, I use approx. 1/8-1/4 cup. Add water to thin down too until desired consistency. Stores in refrigerator for several days.

I added about a Tbl. of this to Hungry Girl's Fettucine Girlfredo instead of the parmesan her recipe calls for. Oh, this is my FAVORITE Mommy Favorite and Figure Friendly lunch. Add 2 tsp. of reduced fat bacon bits, and it's pure heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment