Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cheesy Gnocchi

This is the first time I've ever cooked with gnocchi(small potato dumplings) and I can't believe I've missed out on these little guys all my life. My best friend in high school used to rave about her Nana's gnocchi, and I've always wanted to try it and think of her and her Nana every time I see it on a menu. It's one of those comfort foods that reminds you of your childhood. In this case though I will always remember Shelly's Nana. This isn't her recipe, it's something I just whipped up. I believe Nana used to cook it with browned butter and salt & pepper.

While water is boiling, in a LARGE, DEEP skillet combine:

2 cups cooked diced chicken
1 Tbl. Bacon Bits
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
2 tsp. chicken buillion(it's a paste in a jar)
3/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp. each dried tarragon, dried parsley, garlic & herb mix
salt and pepper to taste
1 jar of Alfredo sauce
2 pkgs. potato gnocchi(I used the large)

Bring first 7 ingredients to a light boil, reduce to a simmer and add jar of alfredo sauce.

Add gnocchi to boiling water, and boil approx. 4 minutes, until they rise to the top of the pot. Remove gnocchi from the starchy water using a slotted pasta spoon and add to the skillet. Continue to simmer until mixed well. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Home made gnocchis are absolutely delicious. Our family makes them often. We are Italian and so we really enjoy the good stuff. We usually just eat them with our favorite pesto sauce or gravy.

    I want to try this recipe though.

    ReplyDelete